I am a full-stack engineer & leader deeply interested in agile methodologies, web technologies, software crafting and teaching. I love creating products that help people and am fascinated with the human side of software development. I create and cortribute to a variety of open source projects, engage in a multitude of community events, enjoy attending and speaking at conferences.
Liefery 11/2017 — 2/2019
Helping operations and partners deliver packages on the same day. Lead a team of 15 together with the CTO, handling the day-to-day needs of the team.
- Help, mentor & guide colleagues through 1o1s, pairing sessions, pull request reviews and knowledge sharing sessions
- Run retrospective and iteration meetings, continously adapting and improving processes
- Architect and design features with the teams
- Monitor application performance and fix performance problems
- Screen and interview candidates
- Gather problems and requirements to define and discuss solutions
- Run integration projects with customers and other involved parties
Liefery 01/2017 — 11/2017
Helping operations and partners deliver packages on the same day.
- Identify and fix performance bottlenecks
- Stepped in for the CTO during a sabbatical
- Run retrospectives and others meetings
bitcrowd 01/2015 — 10/2016
Building great applications, helping companies blossom. Work as part of a team or team lead on customer projects small and big.
- Introduced practices such as retrospectives and CI-servers
- built the payment system for a big festival
- Mentor juniors
Self-employed 05/2013 — 12/2014
Software engineer and instructor.
- Taught three introductory level web development courses at the Humboldt-University Berlin
- Prepared material for an advanced level Ruby on Rails course
- Built a website to show screencasts in a HTML friendly way using HTML5 and popcorn.js
Google Summer of Code (JRuby) 06/2013 — 09/2013
Student for the JRuby organization, working on the Shoes 4 code base improving performance, enhancing functionality and refactoring the code to achieve better readability and maintainability.
d:evolute 09/2012 — 03/2013
Working on a Spree e-commerce application.
Hasso Plattner Institute 04/2010 — 07/2011
Various jobs at the working group for Internet Technologies and Systems including working as a corrector for the lectures „Internet- and WWW-Technologies“ and „Internet Security“.
Conferences 05/2012 — current
I like to go to conferences, speak at them and helped organize some of them.
- Speaker at Ruby On Ice 2018 & 2019, Lambdadays 2018, Polyconf 2017, Full Stack Fest 2016, Rubyconf Portugal 2016, Rubyconf 2015 & more
- Member of the program committee and a track host for "Monoliths and Microservices" and "Software Craftsmanship" at GOTO Berlin 2014
- Organizer JRubyConf & eurucamp 2015
Ruby User Group Berlin 10/2012 — current
A monthly meetup about Ruby and related technologies in Berlin, with anywhere between 40-120 attendees. As the organizer I take care of venues, speakers moderation as well as communication. Co-created the Berlin Code of Conduct to ensure and promote a safe environment.
Rails Girls 06/2012 — current
Rails Girls helps to diversify the tech community by teaching beginners how to program. I support Rails Girls Berlin by coaching at workshops and hackdays.
- Since March 2013 I coach a weekly project group, the rubycorns, helping attendees grow into Juniors & beyond
- Created a well received introductory presentation for the workshops
- Helped Rails Girls Summer of Code 2013 with the team selection process & mentoring two Rails Girls Summer of Code teams
benchee 06/2016 — current
Benchmarking library for elixir providing extensive statistics, hooks and an extensible formatting system.
simplecov 01/2017 — current
Premiere library for code coverage in Ruby. Cleaned up open PRs/issues and keep it clean and fixes released.
Shoes 06/2012 — current
An easy to use GUI toolkit written in Ruby, especiall helpful for teaching programming
Hasso Plattner Institute 2011 — 2014
Blekinge Institute of Technology 08/2011 — 03/2012
Hasso Plattner Institute 2008 — 2011
- Participated in a nine month, near full time team project developing a process engine
- Participated in a fifty person Scrum project to build a Customer Relationship Management system
Friedrich Schiller Gymnasium 2001 — 2008
- Object Oriented Programming (Ruby, Smalltalk)
- Web frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Phoenix)
- Design Patterns
- agile Software Development (XP/Scrum)
- Test Driven Development (RSpec, ExUnit, Jasmine...)
- Pair Programming
- Version Control (git)
- Mentoring and Teaching
- Project Inception